Our Story

During the summer of 2007, Todd and Michael were part of a team that traveled to Bay St. Louis, Mississippi to help rebuild houses devastated by Hurricane Katrina. Their team partnered with Lagniappe, a local church plant started after the storm with a mission for restoration. While in Bay St. Louis, they saw first-hand how a church plant-- whose mission was singularly focused on the renewal of a city-- could bring about spiritual, social, and cultural healing and transformation. This missional model, along with Nehemiah’s call for restoration and renewal of cities, has served as a catalyst for their call and vision to plant a church in Greensboro that brings about hope, healing, and restoration in the university communities and surrounding neighborhoods.

In May of 2008, a launch team of 28 began meeting on Sunday nights for prayer, worship, teaching, and planning. The team committed to each other to be a church that was focused on the Gospel and on loving the city of Greensboro. They continued to meet throughout the summer and fall, building community and getting to know the city in deeper ways. During that time Todd, Michael and Hannah moved into the area. In October 2008, Hope Chapel held its first worship service at Lindley Elementary School, in the heart of Lindley Park and Sunset Hills.

In December 2011, Hope Chapel opened the doors to its new building at 1825 Spring Garden St., about one mile from Lindley Elementary, and strategically located in terms of Hope Chapel’s vision and mission.

 

First and last Sundays at Lindley Elementary school (October 2008/December 2011)

First&Last

Before and after shots of our current meeting place, which we renovated in 2011.


Before&After